Off Topic: Fw: Long Distance Charge for Internet Use

List Mom listmom@mccoypottery.com
Tue, 9 Mar 99 00:07:00 -0600

Bob and DeeDee Cook said:

>This was on CNN...the vote goes to congress next week...This is NOT a hoax.
>I talked to my Congressman and he too said it was real. Please send your
>vote to your congressman at the web site, I sent earlier.  THANKS !!!

Here's the skinny... Even though this is off topic, you may find this
interesting.  You can read our full press release(Mia.Net web hosting
provider for McCoyPottery Online)
http://www.mia.net/HTML/news/oldnews/news_jan99-feb99.html

Yesterday February 26th 1999, the Federal Communications Commission
(http://www.fcc.gov) voted on the issue of "reciprocal compensation" -
the fees passed between telephone companies as payment for terminating
calls for each other. Specifically, today's FCC vote was regarding the
issue of reciprocal compensation in the area of Internet access calls -
the calls each of you make with your modem each time you connect to the
Internet.

How does this impact you? In a nutshell, it doesn't, at least not right
now. The FCC simply decided that your connection to the Internet, even
though a local telephone call, is "jurisdictionally interstate in
nature", and the Commission essentially reserved the right to intervene
later in the matter of how telephone companies compensate each other to
terminate this type of call.

Regardless of what you may read elsewhere (reporters and writers in
general are not well versed in this type of thing), this does not mean
that your Internet connection is now considered a long distance call. You
will not be charged long distance rates to connect to the Internet (as
long as you are not really making a long distance call, of course), and
your telephone bill, in general, should not change as a result of
yesterday's vote.

This does not mean, however, that Internet users will never be impacted
by this issue. When the FCC does get around to actually ruling on the
issue of reciprocal compensation for calls to ISPs, there could be a
major impact on your overall Internet access cost.

Most ISPs purchase inbound phone lines from competitive telephone
companies (CLECs). These competitive telephone companies can sell them at
very low rates because they are getting paid by the incumbent telephone
companies (ILECs) to terminate calls made to ISPs. If the FCC rules that
this compensation is no longer allowed, the cost of inbound telephone
trunks will most surely rise, and the cost of dial-up access to the
Internet will most likely rise with it.

Our advice? Watch the news. Listen to the radio. Read the newspapers. And
call your local representative in congress. In the coming months you'll
see much debate and discussion regarding this issue, as well as the
issues of open access to both cable TV distribution networks and those
portions of the public telephone network required for ISPs to deploy xDSL
access services. At the heart of all of these subjects is concept of
consumer choice and a marketplace free of control by telephone and/or
cable monopolies. These issues are central to the evolution of our
national information infrastructure, and will impact how each of us makes
use of the Internet and other emerging communication technologies.

Read the full article here:
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/News_Releases/1999/nrcc9014.html

       Mia.Net
       NOC Admin
       Jeremy Anthony Kinsey

Glossary

FCC - Federal Communications Commission
LEC - Local Exchange Carrier: A "local" phone company.
ILEC - Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier: The original local phone
companies. Bell Atlantic, Bell South, Ameritech,
US West, Pac Bell and GTE are all ILECs.
CLEC - Competitive Local Exchange Carrier: The new local phone companies
set up to compete with the ILECs in the arena of carrying local voice
(and now data) communications traffic. Frontier, TCG, MFS and Brooks
Fiber are all examples of CLECs. GlobalNaps, Focal
Communications and ICG are good examples of CLECs that cater almost
exclusively to ISPs.
Reciprocal Compensation - The compensation paid by "LEC A" to "LEC B" to
terminate a call that originates on the "LEC A" network but ends on the
"LEC B" network. In the case of calls to ISPs, calls originate most often
on ILEC networks and terminate most often on CLEC networks. This means
that the ILECs are paying hundreds of millions of dollars each year in
reciprocal compensation to the CLECs.

Regards,

The List Mom

                   Linking McCoy Lovers World Wide
   McCoy Pottery Online T-Shirts available for only $15.95 + shipping
        Visit the new Cookie Jar Store:  www.cookiejarstore.com