[Mccoypottery-talk] Repros... (NOT CJ'S!)

aandmjones aandmjones@duesouth.net
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 22:03:35 -0400

Dear Kelly, There is a list of fakes started on the McCoy web site.  One of
the items listed is the Bird on Flower Wall Pocket.  I am also certain that
one of the larger Lily Bud wall pockets is being reproduced and sold on
ebay.  If you have HNH vol 1 look at page 108 and 109.  I am very suspecious
when one of the 8" pockets is listed in a strange color or with different
markings.  I have emailed 2 sellers asking if they would guarantee that
thier pieces were not fakes and both withdrew their auctions.  One I believe
was sincerely duped and didnot realize.  Also it seems on ebay that Private
Auction is a sign that the item might be a fake and the seller knows it.  I
am not sure why they use this feature unless it is to keep bidders from
talking to each other or to keep experts from emailing warnings.  I have
received warnings from 2 different people warning me that an item was not
McCoy.  Those people who do that are taking big chances to help strangers
out but they do not want people to be cheated.
I was wondering if 9 PM Tuesday night might be a good time to meet.
Starting Tuesday 6/12 I will go to the chat room and I hope that you will
all try to meet me. Marie

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Clark <mark3@tcac.com>
To: <mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 11:32 PM
Subject: [Mccoypottery-talk] Repros... (NOT CJ'S!)

> Now that we are on the subject of McCoy reproductions, I wanted to share
something with everyone.  Maybe others know, but I certainly didn't... I
thought only the CJs were being reproduced.

> About a month ago I met with Red Huston, a dealer in our area
(Arkansas/Missouri) who said he has been dealing in cookie jars for 35
years.  He has hundreds in his shop and it was quite a sight to see!  He
deals at the Annual National Cookie Jar Show and knows just about everyone
involved with McCoys.  Anyway, he told me to be on the lookout for repros in
other pieces besides cookie jars.  I have only seen one basket piece redone
(which I bought cheaply because I wasn't sure).  He then showed me a
reproduction of the smaller hand tray shown on page 112 of Sanford's.  I
couldn't believe it - it looked exactly the same and in the beautiful aqua
glaze.  I have this piece in yellow and could compare:  His repro was
slightly smaller, definitely lighter, WAS MARKED NM as the original, but the
interior of the underside was not glazed and just solid bisque (the interior
of mine is entirely glazed).  Had I not been told and ran into this piece
somewhere else, I would have assumed it wa!
> s the real McCoy - a VERY good copy.
>
> Has anyone else ran into repros on planters, vases, etc., other than
cookie jars?  I'm sure we could all benefit from hearing about them!
Incidently, if anyone would like to name a date/time for us to start meeting
in the McCoy chat room, I would love to join in!!!