[Mccoypottery-talk] McCoy Cookie Jar Book

aandmjones aandmjones@duesouth.net
Sat, 26 May 2001 21:49:31 -0400

Hi! BJ, I recently got the old one on ebay and I have to tell you that it is
the best book I have ever seen. I already had HNH Vol2 and the 2001 Cookie
jars up date but Harold Nichols is by far the best because it gives numbers,
dates of production, color varieties etc.  However it only goes through 1987
and it does not have all McCoy jars in it.  I also have the 3 vols of Roerig
Cookie Jar Collector and each of them has a McCoy section.
I have been collecting since 1960 and I have 60 McCoy jars.  I started by
collecting Fruits and Vegetables.  I have 50, the other 10 I use to decorate
for different holidays, for example I have the Turkey for Thanksgiving and
the Drum and the Rocking Horse for Christmas.
One of the reasons I say that Nichols is not complete is that I am still
looking to buy the flat leaf apple and the flat leaf pear which he does not
show.  They are in both HNH and Roerig so I believe that they really are
McCoy but Nichols missed them.
There are alot of fakes on the market today and new collectors need to be
careful about them. Jeanette Windhorst has produced a pamphlet about them
and collects informatioon to help all of us.  Her web site is McCoycookieja=
rs@tropica.net.
Her pamphlet is listed for sale on ebay under Pottery-McCoy. The title says=
 something
about FAKES.  I think it might help you.  By the way, even experienced coll=
ectors make=20
mistakes.
I bought a "Bunny with Carrot" to use at Easter. It was clearly marked with=
 a correct
McCoy signature but I now believe this design was never made by McCoy.  I b=
ought it on ebay
wher I saw a picture of the signature but in person the appearance of the c=
lay on the bottom=20
and the way the glaze was app;ied over the signature make me believe it is =
fake, but I only
paid $29 so it still makes a cute Easter decoration.=20
I also bought a couple of others that I thought were probable fakes and hav=
e them clearly
marked fake for future reference.  I bought them because I knew that I coul=
d never afford $300
for an original and they were for sale for less than $40.  I believe everyo=
ne should be true to=20
their own self, but for the sake of collectors if you are going to buy a fa=
ke do not pay=20
antique price for it and do not resell it as an original.  Be aware that ce=
ramics glaze brand=20
new can crackle so crazing is not a sign of age alone.  Weight and signatur=
es can be duplicated.
Experience is probably the only thing you can count on.
Sorry for the essay but hope this info will help someone.Marie

=20=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20