[Mccoypottery-talk] Identification of McCoy Cookie Jars

Brenda Jo Cox bjc@texas.net
Mon, 28 May 2001 09:19:02 -0500

Hello:

    Thanks for the responses.  Chiquita, I guess I'm looking for the
"complete" book (that identifies what mark is suppose to be on the
bottom) because I'm very unsure about whether something is a McCoy or
not.  I believe Marie indicated the Nichols books tells you this.  For
example I went "teaking" Saturday and I found what I thought was two
McCoy Cookie Jars.  According to the dealer they were.  One was the
Spirit of 76 Cookie Jar which was marked USA. The other was a strawberry
which looked like the old strawberry with its little hat on almost
straight (and the dealer said it was the "old" strawberry).  The
strawberry didn't have a mark.  When I got home, I began to think about
this and thought that if it was the old one it probably should have been
marked.  Am I right?  The NHN book doesn't tell you what mark the jar
should have.  I looked at the Sanford's book yesterday, Sunday, and it
doesn't look like they tell you what mark (or no mark) should be on it
either.  Is there anywhere (web site, book, etc.) which will just tell
you whether the jar should be marked and with what mark.  If not could
such a list be made and posted at this site?  Ya'll sound very
experience and knowledgeable and it would be tremendously helpful for
beginners like me.  For example I saw a Raggedy Ann doll on a trip to
Indiana recently.  It was $125.00 and in perfect condition.  I didn't
buy it, however, because it didn't have a mark.  Does the raggedy ann
doll jar have a mark?  If so what is it.  So far I've bought 8 jars and
I'm thinking one is a fake (the strawberry) and the other may not be
McCoy because it's not in the NHN book (it's a little fire red jar that
has big spoke wheels on the opposite sides that are painted with gold
paint and almost looks like a little pot belly stove or engine).
Although both the possible fake and red jar are cute, I'm frustrated
with myself for making the mistake.  Thanks. BJ