[Mccoypottery-talk] New to McCoy

Biagi davie@charter.net
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:42:33 -0400

Thank you, Betty,

I am trying to limit myself to only the planters. The cookie jars are a bit
too expensive for me.

There is something really comforting to me to have these old planters
around. It reminds me of a day and age when women had time to place a layer
of gravel in the bottom, plant some hens and chicks, and carefully water
just enough to prevent root rot while keeping the soil moist.

I'm trying to put a round sticker with the date on the bottom of the
planters when I find out when it was made.

I wish our library had some reference books. We live in a small town,
though, and their collection of books about pottery seem to be pre 1960s.

Davie
  -----Original Message-----
  From: mccoypottery-talk-admin@lists.mccoypottery.com
[mailto:mccoypottery-talk-admin@lists.mccoypottery.com]On Behalf Of Betty F.
Nelson
  Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 5:18 PM
  To: mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com
  Subject: Re: [Mccoypottery-talk] New to McCoy

  We are not experts but this is definitely the place !!  We at least try to
help each other.  I have the dates of production on many things as I am sure
many others have.  If you want to send pictures to me I will try to help.
Or just good descriptions. Betty in Iowa
  Biagi wrote:

    Hi everyone,
    I am new to McCoy collecting, but I am already finding the
    stuff irresistible.
    For my 24th wedding anniversary, my husband brought me one
    planter for every year of our marriage. It was the nicest
    present I have ever received. For mother's day I got a dozen
    more.

    I wish I knew the year each planter was made. I have been
    researching the books. When I read there were catalogs that
    might still be around, I was very envious. I wish the next
    McCoy book was nothing but reproductions of all the old
    catalog pages.

    I'm enjoying reading the posts. This must be THE place for
    the experts to consult.

    Thanks,

    Davie