[Mccoypottery-talk] Fayes Fakes

Nina Berlin nberlin@swfla.rr.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:23:14 -0400

I was one of those people who bought one of Fayes Fakes.  When I figured it
out, I emailed her and ask to return it because it was misrepresented. Her
response was:  I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your purchase, but that
the shoe was a McCoy.  Made by the new McCoy Pottery Co. in Tennessee.  She
did take the shoe back and refunded my money, but I had to pay for the
shipping both ways.  Lesson learned.
I started doing some checking on my own and found out that the original
McCoy Pottery Co. never copyrighted their trademark.  The Co. was sold in
1985 to Ralph Porto, he did not resister the name until 1991.  This was a
year after the company closed in 1990.   Then in 1992 Roger Jensen of
Tennessee also registered the McCoy name.  His company was called "The New
McCoy Pottery".  He had so much controversy over using the trademark on his
cookie jars that he stopped using "McCoy" and began marking them with
"Brush-McCoy". This was still being challenged, so as of 1997 Jensen was no
longer LEGALLY able to use the word McCoy in any manner on his jars.  Then
he started marking them "B.M.Hull", if marked.
So all of the pottery that Faye describes as having crazing, no damage, good
color and so on; were made from 92-97.
It is ashamed that she is so deceitful and gets away with it. But, now we
know who not to buy from.
I hope this was helpful.
Nina