[Mccoypottery-talk] Cookie Jars - VERY LONG!

BarbCrews barbc@thecookiejar.net
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:55:35 -0500

Okay, I can't stay quiet any longer. ~vbg~

  I get upset when people say they are afraid to buy on the Internet or
won't collect because of possible problems -- I hear this all the time!
A little education goes a long way and the price of a few reference books
usually are less than a nice piece of pottery and much more essential at
the beginning. It drives me batty when someone tells me they don't want to
spend $25 or so on a new book, but meanwhile are spending much more than
that on items they know little about. This list is terrific, with excellent
resources, but the old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words is
certainly true when trying to research collectibles.

  I have been accused by others of "liking Reproductions" I still stand by
my original statement that if someone wants a reproduction, knows it is one
AND IT IS clearly marked as such. So-be-it.  The problem is most
reproductions are not clearly marked and are made to deceive -- that's
where we (and I) have issues..

In my many years of buying on eBay (first feedback was 8/96) I am 95% sure
I have never unknowingly bought a reproduction. (And the only one I have
knowingly bought on eBay is the Hamms bear mentioned below)  And this is
certainly not because "I am smart" or an "expert", it's because I check out
suspicious looking auctions and items. Never bidding without checking other
items seller has and their feedback for one thing.  eBay is not going to
help the buyers -- they are in the  business to make money and the only way
they can make it is by sellers fees, so you have to look out for yourself
and your money.

Cookie jars -- yes the prices have fallen in the past few years, but many
jars have not fallen and some have actually increased in value.  e.g.
Shawnee.

Prices are falling because of several reasons:

 >>yes reproductions certainly have a big part in it. People are afraid to
buy, because it will be a reproduction or fake,  but a little self
education can help avoid those jars. Many of the jars I see on eBay are
fakes as opposed to reproductions, e.g. the McCoy LRRH, McCoy Standing
Clown,  Gingerbread boy, winnie the pooh etc. Those are obviously not
McCoys and anyone who can read can check out a book, read a website, or
basically inform themselves about these fakes. Type in McCoy Little Red
Riding Hood in a search engine and the first articles tell you that there
is no such thing!

Reproductions -- yes there are jars made to deceive and they are also on
the Internet. The various McCoy Mammys  are  glaring examples and ones I
would be careful buying over the Internet. READ and do your own research --
remember it's your money. And if a deal is too good to be true, do double
research!  Also, make sure a dealer stands by their products and give refunds.

Another problem is how do you decide what is a reproduction and what isn't?
Jonal issued a series of Classic Cookie Jars -- copying vintage jars. Hamms
bear and McCoy chef are two in the series. So  are those reproductions?

  - - - - - -
 >>Overproduction of new jars is one main reason prices are falling. When
there are literally of hundreds of new pieces out every year, how does a
collector decide what to buy and what not to buy. (assuming they are not
just sticking to one company such as McCoy, Metlox, etc).  And since there
are so many new jars -- they don't all sell and thus get heavily
discounted.  Result -- prices are falling. Manufacturers saw the golden egg
and went crazy, eventually killing the goose. The past two years there has
been a noticeable decline in the number of new jars produced and if this
trend continues, this will help the market stablize.

- - - -  -
 >>Greed by dealers --- yeah, we're all guilty of that. We all want the
best price when we sell our stuff. But most of the greed (I feel)  comes
from dealers who are not completely familiar with jars.  Ah, it says McCoy
-- it must be worth a bundle, so they put a high price on a white stove jar
that has a crack or several chips. The jar doesn't sell, sits on the shelf
-- result prices must be falling, cookie jar market must be dead, as jar is
not selling at inflated price.

- - - - - -
 >>Many collectors bought jars at their highest peak, after the Warhol
auction that drove prices up and the years immediately after that. Now when
they want to sell their pieces, they are not bringing what they were
originally bought at -- every collectible has its cycle of highs and lows.
And their particular jars may not be the ones most sought after and will
not bring the best prices. I often try to help people sell their jars by
putting them on the web. I am amazed at what people told me what they
originally paid for a piece -- many times much higher than even
book prices and now they are wondering why they can't sell at that price.

- - - - - - -
 >>Many newer collectors bought everything new that came out when the
market was exploding, figuring to send their kids to college in a few years
with their profits. Face it, not everything goes up in value. Just because
it's a jar, many people thought to double their money in a few years. The
jar has to be more than just a jar, it has to be desirable and at least a
little limited. Jars from the Disney stores and Warner bros stores are two
examples of licensed, limited and desirable jars. They almost always go for
more than issue price, even the fairly recent ones.

Okay... that's all I have to say for now! Disagree or not -- I would love
to hear others opinions.

bc.