[Mccoypottery-talk] Thanks, and more questions

Mark mjtn@bellsouth.net
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:28:04 -0500

Thanks to everybody who answered my questions re: the ivy
teapot/sugar/creamer set, to the ones who gave me insight into collecting
in general, and to all who simply welcomed me :-)

To respond to a few of the things you've mentioned:

I don't have lots of pottery. I only have 3 different things (one of which
is the McCoy set - so, only 5 actual pieces) which, to me, isn't enough to
justify buying a guidebook - yet  ;-)

On the bottom is McCoy USA (hard to describe how the first "little" 'c' is
"together" with the 'M' and how the 'o' is "together" with the next, bigger
'C'). The word McCoy is "raised" and USA is "indented." Inside the sugar &
creamer is stamped a small D, or P, or something. But not inside the
teapot. Is this normal?

The ivy leaves and the stems are "raised."  They're not just painted green
and brown.

Patti, the ivy on your vegetable bowl looks different than the ivy on my
pieces.

Since you do talk about Brush pottery here, I would really like to know
what this round thing is, which is light green with little brown specks. It
looks like maybe a plant was in it or something like that, because it looks
like a bowl, except that in the center of the bottom, it goes deeper. On
the outside (at the top) of the "bowl" there are raised curvy lines and
raised "dots", none of which is a different color. (sorry for the pitiful
description). The mark is difficult to read, but it says (on the bottom -
at the top) 927 (or maybe it's an 8, but I think it's a 9) then below that
is Brush (in cursive) then below that is USA (in USA, the 'S' is bigger
than the 'U' and the 'A'). I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks again,
Mark

p.s. Would anyone be able to tell me about Saxon china? I promise that this
is the last thing that I will mention, because it's the last thing that my
grandmother gave to me yesterday. She gave me this piece of Saxon which
belonged to my great-great grandmother! It has a "pour" thingie which makes
it look like a creamer, but it's too long for that. (I think). Maybe it's a
gravy thing ...? The only thing that I've found online about it is this:
"The French China Co., founded around 1900, and the Saxon China Co.,
founded in 1911, went bankrupt in 1932 during the Depression. An investor
bought the two facilities, which reopened in 1934 under the name French
Saxon China Co. This company operated until 1964."  .... The only thing
that this says on the bottom is "Saxon China" inside some sort of "Coat of
Arms" looking thing, so I'm assuming that it dates between 1911 and 1932.
The piece is "off-white" with lots and lots of crazing (is that the correct
word?) inside and outside, much more than is inside the McCoy pieces. It
also has a hairline crack, but it's not "seperated." (does that make
sense?) Is there some sort of percentage guideline in which that usually
decreases the value? Thanks so much.

p.s.s.  These things have great sentimental value to me, so I'm not out see
how much money I can get. I only want to find out everything that I can.
The McCoy and Brush pieces are in a prominent place in my house, because I
think they're beautiful. But the Saxon china piece is wrapped in many
layers of newspaper and inside a plastic bag on the top shelf of an
out-of-the-way closet.