[Mccoypottery-talk] Stove Cookie Jar

Helen Gardner hgardner@ka.net
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:34:47 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Thank you for your reply.  No I am not a collector, I am an antique dealer
who is interested in learning.  =0D
Helen  Shelbyville, Ky=0D
 =0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
 =0D
From: mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com=0D
Date: Monday, February 24, 2003 8:19:08 AM=0D
To: mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com=0D
Subject: Re: [Mccoypottery-talk] Stove Cookie Jar=0D
 =0D
Helen,=0D
The cookie jar you describe can be found on page 253 of Hanson-Nissen-Hanson
 Volume II.  It should be at any good library, but if you're going to
collect McCoy, you'll want to order a copy.  The coal bucket did not come
with the stove originally - it can be found on pages 288-289 of the same
book.  Should you have bid? Depends on the price; the stove lists for $40-50
and the bucket for $200-300, depending on color and whether it had the
kitten on the coal. Also, if they were repros, no.  These kind folks can
tell you where to find a repro list, or search eBay for kyhillbillygal - she
has a CD-Rom of repros.=0D
 =0D
Diane,=0D
Someone on this list once said that the reason you will find some McCoy
pieces with McCoy marks and identical pieces with USA is because when the
discount chains started forming (1960s), the old stores didn't like being
undersold on McCoy, so McCoy marked the pottery sold to the discount chains
with USA.  Can't verify that since I wasn't involved, but it sounds
reasonable.  I have three pot-belly stoves; two have McCoy, one USA, but the
same stove.=0D
Mike=0D
=20