[Mccoypottery-talk] (no subject)

McCoyPottery.com List Mom listmom@mccoypottery.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:25:04 -0600

On Sunday, January 19, 2003, at 05:01 PM, Tom Walker wrote:

<image.tiff>

 > Hi list folks

Hello

 >Do My emails offensd anyone?

No, they do not offend, however they are not easy on the eyes, waste
bandwidth, and are mildly annoying.  Finally, I hesitate to respond to
them since your mailer appears to encapsulate the output of a text
based email into a tiff image.  So when I reply to you I have to copy
the entire message manually otherwise my mail client (even PINE) will
reply to you by listing "image.tiff" as the body of your message in a
response.

 >I have a very light soft textured background on my emails.

Why?

 >I honestly forgot all about it until a jug head sent me a nasty email
a while ago criticizing my background.

Well, given that email is a text based medium most people will be in
agreement that cutesy colors and images should not be used.  Again, it
is hard on the eyes, and it wastes resources.  I mean imagine reading
"War and Peace" with a silly blue background on blue text.  Sheer
madness.  My guess is Lev would have gone insane a bit sooner had he
had to write like that as well :-)

 >It is part of my email program and it is very pleasant in my opinion.

It may be pleasant to you on your screen, but my guess is a lot of
people do not even bother to read your posts because of it.  I read
just about everything as I monitor and "loosly" manage the list.
However if I where using PINE to view these lists messages, anything
with funky characters, colors, images, etc.,, would end up being
dev/null before it ever got to me.

However, I take most of the posts with a grain of salt, as should most
people since this is not a technical list.  I do not set up the list
server to ban the ability to post colored backgrounds either as that
would mean 90%of the people on the list would be upset trying to figure
out why they cannot post.

 >You guys should see some of the options that I have to use.

Options?  What on earth are you using?

Looks to me like IncrediMail 2001.  I would strongly suggest upgrading,
or using something a bit more modern and intuitive. IncrediMail is just
"Eye Candy" IMHO.  It's cute, and free, but lacks quite a bit.  You
might look at Eudora or OE.  Anyway, just a suggestion.

 >Some make my eyes hurt.

Well, that's just it.  Even the one you sent today make eyes hurt.
Rule #1 in  Typography class, NEVER USE COLORED BACKGROUNDS WITH
COLORED TEXT.  Well, you can get away with it on some headline type, or
in a sentence or two, but anything more than that is too hard on the
eyes.

 >I will start using the blank e-mail.

Probably a good idea on a list.  Especially on a busy one where there
is a lot of material to digest and go through.

 >I just wanted the opinion of all involved!!!!!!!

Well you have mine.  But like I said, I am not gonna lose sleep over
it, and I am not gonna ban you from the list or scold you like a child.
  I just offer up the reasons that people go mad seeing colored
background text.  Hope this helps.

 >anyone wanting to read the email sent to me by a jug head from the
list  but not through the list.

You can email me off list if you wish.  If it is a list member I would
really like to know.  If anyone ever has a problem with anyone on this
list, or any post, please do email listmom@mccoypottery.com

I'm here to keep the peace!

-
Regards,