[Mccoypottery-talk] binary data

ACP acpearce@io.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:02:48 -0800

Nina Berlin wrote:

> To Collene Pearce and the List members,
>
> I did not know that I sent any binary email.  All I did was reply to Tom's
> email about the weather.  I didn't know that the background would be picked
> up in the reply.  I'm sorry to have upset you.  I have never changed the
> background on my emails.  I don't even know how.

Ouch!!!  Then please forgive me for "ripping your head
off".  I could not read your email, so I did not know
it was not your fault.  I would never have been mean
to you, if I'd known you were not responsible. :-(

When I encounter this type of binary message in my "incoming
list", the mail automatically displays it in the lower window
(a setting I use).
At that point, the message with binary data hangs
Netscape.  I can't scroll down to see who started the
thread or anything else.  I can only see the stationary
in the lower window and the first few lines of colored
text (in this case).  I can't even close Netscape
to get out of the situation.  I must kill the Netscape
process, to end the problem.  Of course if I immediately
get back into Netscape, it immediately goes back to the
last message I was reading (the bad one) and the whole
thing starts all over again.   Talk about irritating!!!
After a reboot, NS Messenger opens without selecting
a message and that gives me a chance to bypass the bad
one.

Something interesting about this situation is that this
is the ONLY mailing list where I receive binary data in
the list messages.   I belong to about 50 technical and
recreational lists (no, I don't read all of them all the
time).  Many of those lists are not setup to suppress
binary data, however, the members politely send text only.
What is so amazing about this, you ask????
A couple of these lists are SOAP lists (yes, regardless of
the stigma attached, I still watch Days Of Our Lives).
Now, of all the lists I'm on, I would have expected those
2 to be the biggest problem with binary data (and they were,
at first).

acp