[Mccoypottery-talk] Thank You List Mom

Mark Jennings mjtn@bellsouth.net
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 20:38:10 -0500

Betty wrote:
I just want to say thanks for this becoming more of a "community" because
of the longer post allowed and more off topic comments allowed. I have
really enjoyed getting acquainted with some of the people. I am glad to
have such a nice bunch of people to share a love of pottery.

Betty,

I agree with you. I understand that an e-mail list of a specific topic
cannot constantly be used for off topic discussion without running the risk
of becoming boring or even frustrating to many. But I also think that
getting to know one another on a somewhat personal level is a good thing.
After all, we're real people even though we're only reading text, and I
think that everyone should remind themselves of this even if most of us
will never meet in person.

Being a member of this list is a privilege, and it's free. If someone wants
*only* McCoy information, there's plenty that can be found with a simple
search on the internet, in books at the library, etc., etc.  ..... I just
did a search on google.com for "McCoy Pottery" (*with* the parentheses for
a more refined search - for those who might not know to do that) and got
5,980 search results in 0.21 seconds. I do internet searches all of the
time. It's absolutely amazing what can be found as literally millions more
webpages are being added all of the time on every subject known to man. But
I'd rather have the human touch. I enjoy making new friends :-)

I agree that if you change the subject, you should start a new thread so
that the people who don't want to read our "personal" stuff - or even "on
topic" things that doesn't interest them, can delete it unopened. I'm
afraid I'm guilty of not changing the subject lines at times when maybe I
should have. I apologize for any inconvenience I've ever caused anyone.

mj