[Mccoypottery-talk] Speaking of.... When Was This Made.

JHS capriherb@dialupnet.com
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:11:17 -0100

Thanks Patti!
Jennifer Smith
Capriherb Farm
Baltimore, Ohio

-----Original Message-----
From: mccoypottery-talk-admin@lists.mccoypottery.com
[mailto:mccoypottery-talk-admin@lists.mccoypottery.com]On Behalf Of
Patti
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 11:51 PM
To: mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com
Subject: Re: [Mccoypottery-talk] Speaking of.... When Was This Made.

When considering a piece  that has  a hairline of  small flakes or
chips  if inconspicuous or  are small enough that when displaying an
item it isn't  noticeable  unless  inspected real close . I Judge  this
way  is it a hard to find item ? Or is it possible to find  easy with
no  defects?  Or is it so cheap I  can take it flaws and all if i really
want  this  item and don't or haven't found one  in my price range.  I
don't usually buy defective or damaged items unless   the price  is
cheap . I would never consider paying    book guide price on anything
let  alone over  mint or not, sellers who tend to  over price items
don't sell to  many experienced buyers  but more to people who  really
don't know  collectible values  at all   Or some who  want an item  and
don't care  or feel shopping around is too much hassle.
If considering an item with hairline which  many times   are  mostly
crazing lines  unless they go all the way through . as  for percentage
I  would say  I myself wouldn't  pay  more then  1.3  the  considered
value  more then  often I will  not even go that high and hope i   find
it again.  too many sellers post damaged items above  book  due to
someone telling them   that they can get a high price for it.
I judge on how long I have gone  without being able to get   certain
pieces  not  with flaws.
Beware of any  pieces the seller has taken  upon themselves to try and
cover up with paint etc.  even if they tell you about it it still takes
ore value of the item  best way to sell  an  nice  but  defected  piece
is to leave it as is.
As for  dark hairlines  they can be cleaned  so can crazing  but not
covered up darkening is from age  in  crazing and hairlines  and from
handling  . Our hands have oils  we may not think they are dirty but the
oils  do  get into crazing  and hairlines  and make them darker  and
over the years of  more handling  it will get   to look  very dirty.
As to  percentage I think  its up to you  to  make  that  decision  if
you feel its too high than you are  probably right  and if  the seller
won't  go lower then  move on  eventually if not in a hurry  you will
find another  .  Steer clear of  sellers  who  jump at you when you are
looking at an item and  get into your face with fast pitch   saying oh
its rare  oh its  such and such , when this happened tome I  politely
say I know what it is and  what its worth  and then  say no thanks and
go on to the next dealer. Do not ever be  afraid to show your
knowledge  many dealers talk a good game but rarely know what their
selling  just that  they can sell  it to  some unsuspecting  tourist
or  buyer who  doesn't  know the difference . being a dealer for  35
years   I will  walk away from a   seller if they jump at me before I
even  start to look or I hear them  quote ne price to  a   person who
they think can't afford to pay it then  another  one to someone they
think can.
I say if you really want it  and it has a hairline  try and make a deal
you will be comfortable with.

--
Items I have listed  On iOffer it's  not an auction its better!!
http://www.ioffer.com/viewProfile.do?userID=jplev1&tab=SELLING