[Mccoypottery-talk] What ever happened to the good ol G.W. we grew up wi...

ACP acpearce@io.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:20:39 -0800

The GoodWill stores here (Austin, TX) are as expensive as
regular retail stores.  They sell sadly used clothing for $5
and up.  If it looks new, they might charge $20.  You wouldn't
believe the condition of some $8 shoes, I once saw.

The GW computer store sells used keyboards for $6-10
and you can buy brand new ones at Fry's for $3.
They are selling PII, desktop PCs, with about 32MB
RAM and 2GB HD, for $300 (worth about $50).
The thing I find amazing is that a lot of people who
buy this stuff!  I guess they've not done any comparison
shopping.

I heard something about GW losing it's "charity" status
a year or so ago.  There was some stink about the executives
and 3rd world countries.  I don't remember any of the details.
I guess I didn't pay attention, because I'd already figured
out it was NOT for the benefit of people who can't afford
retail stores, anymore.

On the other hand, the Salvation Army stores, here DO
have good prices and they have an auction at 2pm, every
Saturday for the "special" antique/collectable things.
I've attended them and they are fun.  You just stand
around the check out stand and bid.  Some bidders are
obviously dealers, but most are just regular customers,
like me. :-)

acp

--

:-)