[Mccoypottery-talk] unidentified pieces

John Melson jemmelson39@yahoo.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:33:02 -0800 (PST)

Hello Patti,  Sure was nice to get some good infro from you as i live in Ohio an collect Ohio pottery .I a some unmarked pieces an sure nnow there are either McCoy or Brush.Thanks alot aan enjoy what everybody else has to say. Please keep up the good work an good luck McCoy hunting .  Thanks again ,, John in Ohio
 Patti <jplev1@comcast.net> wrote: Newer Brush is Marked Brush many of the planters you find today are
just brush made in the 1860 and up. Older ones may not have been mark
or marked USA or numbered you can tell a much older piece by Brush pre
McCoy buy the style there was A lot of utilitarian stuff like planters
for florists . Many Companies also made bank for other companies to
decorate for commercial wares. If you get A Brush McCoy book either
look for it in a Library or buy used you can find online too you
will see some of the distinct differences some of the brush stuff
when it was joined with JWMcC was never reproduced by the next
McCoy company. YOu would be surprised to find out how much older
Brush is being sold as Unknown. I.e. I was in a thrift shop saw this
neat looking Jardinier/vase inside it had another planter stuck they
were going to throw it away!! well I said I would by it and try to get
them apart . I sacrificed the planter inside for the larger pretty
vase by slowly And carefully breaking it because it was stuck tight
how it got that way was strange to me as it was too big to fit in
the vase . ( I only made on small tiny chip getting it out on the
better item ) couldn't pinpoint the maker of this nice vase. I looked
in al my books except my B-McC that one i glance I asked other
pottery people nobody had a clue I did find it one day In the B_McC
book by accident it was an older item no mark !! So I have A great
vase /Jard. that I paid peanuts because someone else though it
was useless . Oh an don some old brush Planter they have small leg
wide and flat liek panels On the bottoms some are triangular , gs or
higher places on the bottom and are unmarked Not quite pedestals but
lower where the middle is only raised a tiny bit. A collectors best
friend is reference books not relying on what some others may tell
you many sellers don't know a thing about what they sell they also
take prices from a book which is wrong books a guides they are not a
good way to set prices it inflates the market value is what a
collector is willing to pay. Id is best from books not values. the
pottery market is supposed to be low right now but it isn't because
sellers are using books to price . Patti

--
Items I have listed On iOffer it's not an auction its better!!
http://www.ioffer.com/viewProfile.do?userID=jplev1&tab=SELLING