[Mccoypottery-talk] repro's???

Jennifer Smith capriherb@dialupnet.com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 04:41:53 -0500

Quita gave some great advice (as always) about the cookie jars yesterday,
but as I got to this list (as so many have) because I bought 2 jars and
wanted to do some research on them, I think I need to add my 2 cents.
I got ripped in a whole different way.  I was at an auction and bought 2
cookie jars that went to $40.00 each for my purchase.  One was a Planter's
Peanut and the other was Cow Jumped Over the Moon.  Both of these cookie
jars have uneven crazing.  Both jars are heavy, just like a McCoy.  Both
jars have the McCoy information on the bottoms of them.  Both jars are VERY
well painted and glazed.  These are high quality jars that would never be
expected to be fakes.
Barb has the man in the moon on her web site, but the one I bought looks
EXACTLY like the original with all the painting done correctly.
I have both jars on a shelf in one of the bedrooms with McCoy and Hull and
they really do look like they belong.
BUT THEY ARE FAKES!!
McCoy never made either!  This happened several years ago when I bought them
and thankfully I don't believe I've bought another fake since then.
1.  BUY BOOKS!!!
2.  Do Research!!  Find the sites like Quita and Barb have and bookmark
them.  Don't buy on impulse but get measurements of the jars and then find
out if they are correctly sized.
3.  Ask the list!
I'm almost to the point that I'd rather see an old, dirty, "couple of chips"
type jar and buy that than buying a mint jar.  At least I know it's seen
it's use and is probably legit.  If it looks too good to be true, it
probably is!<G>

Jennifer Smith
Hull full of Ohio Pottery and Glassware
Capriherb Farm