[Mccoypottery-talk] PR (page rank) defined

david mcCoy damitboy@yahoo.com
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:07:44 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Mom!!!! That explained alot. I have been considering doing a website and if I ever manage to get 'er done, I will be happy to link with you!
Dave

McCoy Pottery List Mom <listmom@mccoypottery.com> wrote:
Since someone asked about "PR" Here you go:

In short PageRank is a “vote”, by all the other pages on the Web, about
how important a page is. A link to a page counts as a vote of support.
If there’s no link there’s no support (but it’s an abstention from
voting rather than a vote against the page).

Basically, the higher the PR, the higher the payout by advertisers on a
site. Of course there are multiple factors that play into good SEO
(Search Engine Optimization).

Since our site is completely FREE and a voluntary effort, we have to
find ways to off set the cost of our hobby. The McCoy Pottery server
farm consists of a couple of linux servers that eat a considerable
amount of bandwidth. There's power, the cost of the servers, and
maintaining them, the internet (bandwidth) feed, and of course the time
involved in adding to the site and the overall services we are trying
to offer. The more we can do to offset these costs, the more we can do
adding to the site. Getting good PR and decent backlinks from other
sites is crucial for this goal.

This is probably a bit more than most wanted to know. I realize this
is not a technical forum, so things like PR, SEO, SERPs, etc., is going
to sound Greek to many. However for a great many on this list it is
EXTREMELY important, as it is a helpful driving factor in keeping these
sites going.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
The List Mom