[Mccoypottery-talk] Fakes & repros

BigBVideo@aol.com BigBVideo@aol.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:59:36 EST

It's interesting that Faye would defend the LRRH cookie jar as a McCoy as she
has the exact same cookie jar listed, but as Hull. Unfortunately, the bidding
is up to $137.50 with more than a day left in the auction!

She also has the usual assortment of Hull/Shawnee/McCoy cookie jars, salt &
pepper shakers and figurines. One "perfect" McCoy Aunt Jemima cookie jar is up
to $153.50.

I've only been collecting McCoy for about a year, and only have about 50
pieces. The only one I think may not be real is a turquoise quilted pattern flower
pot, listed on page 147 of the Hanson/Nissen book. I thought it was real, but
recently saw another one on eBay, and was wondering if that is one of the
pieces being reproduced.

A few weeks back, there was a seller that had numerous wall pockets listed.
Even as a novice, it was obvious that they were fakes. She was selling them in
groups of 3... each a different color, and none of the colors were listed in
the book. I emailed her and politely asked if they were originals or repro
ductions. Her prompt answer was that there is no such thing as a "reproduction."
She claims that as McCoy never patented their molds or designs, that they may be
reproduced at will. She conceded that they be newer pieces, but nevertheless
McCoy. Interesting perspective. I only wish I could remember what her eBay ID
was.

Another interesting twist is offered by wcg_auctions who has more than 25
different "McCoy" wall pockets listed on eBay. To quote Wolf Cyber Gifts... "Back
has McCoy mark. Old mold; new casting. MADE IN THE USA. Not imported."
Although they refer to them as McCoy pieces, I suppose the "old mold; new casting"
is supposed to get them off the hook.

The ohiopottery.com/mccoy/fakes and reproductions site is interesting,
although I know there are many more pieces out there, just waiting to deceive the
uneducated. I wish more people knew what they were buying!