[Mccoypottery-talk] Displays

Betty Nelson bettyfnelson@mchsi.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:41:24 -0600

I don't have high ceilings and few walls as I have so many windows.  I have
used the old college student trick of using "stone and Plank" construction.
I got a stack of concrete decorative blocks at an auction for a couple of
dollars.  You know the ones that have the open spaces. Design like what you
made in school with a compass and over lapping circles.  They are a foot
tall and the planks I got at Home Depot and they are the finished looking
shelf boards. Set the blocks on the floor and put a board on top a block on
each end and another plank the 12" or more height handles most cookie jars.
They are easy to tear down and pack away when I want to put up the Christmas
tree. Betty
----- Original Message -----
From: "Cunningham, Beth" <Beth.Cunningham@eku.edu>
To: <mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 5:23 PM
Subject: [Mccoypottery-talk] Displays

> Jennifer, I envy you those 12 foot ceilings!  I grew up in a 1900
Four-Square with 12 foot ceilings and they are wonderful.  Our house always
seemed so cool in summer.  Now, my husband and I have a smallish, old house.
I have some McCoy displayed in an old china cabinet and some in an old
tobacco cabinet.  Of course cabinets can be quite expensive to purchase, so
how about floor to ceiling shelves?  I've seen some between 2 windows, some
on either side of a fireplace and some in a hallway, all very attractive.
Made with a good quality lumber, say shelving grade or furniture grade, it
could be painted or stained to match your decor and wouldn't be very
difficult to make.  Also, it would be relatively inexpensive and could
display a lot of items.  Built-ins are also beautiful, and less dusting, but
the glass can be rather expensive and you will need cabinetry skills to
build them.  Wish I could send my hubbie to build it for you all!  Beth in
KY