[Mccoypottery-talk] Ebay swindle off topic

MidwestVintage@aol.com MidwestVintage@aol.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:41:40 EST

   That scam has been going on for quite awhile and as a  on-line shop owner
I have had them contact me at least once a week or more often with a similar
scam.  In fact I got one yesterday.  Some of the other shop owners fell for it
initially and warned us all.  If it sounds to good to be true, it is.  They
did arrest 8 people last year but it is still going strong.  You really have to
trust your instincts.  If it sounds fishy it probably is.  Another thing to
worry about.  One of the shop owners was contacted about an expensive Roseville
vase she had.  The customer was in her area and would like to see all her
Roseville, could he come over and maybe buy them all?  She agreed and he came to
her home with his "wife & son" bought everything she had and paid with a
travelers check or something like that.  Well, the check was no good, the name was
phony and she is out a few thousand dollars of merchandise plus now is afraid
because they know where she lives.  These are all things you have to be aware
of when you sell either on line or in a brick and mortar.  Its a sad world.

                                      Julia