[Mccoypottery-talk] the list

Jennifer Smith capriherb@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:43:06 -0500

Do you also get letters and emails from collectors wanting to know why those
Beleek fakes were done by Rookwood, Owens, Weller, AND McCoy?  And just
think McCoy and Owens didn't even bother to sign their fakes.  And yes they
were fakes as they were copied exactly from the Beleek or Rookwood (again
copies or fakes one could say) pieces....
I think it's just all relevant. IF a McCoy collector can't read the bottom
of a pot that is clearly marked something other than McCoy then maybe they
need to be collecting Pyrex or FireKing.
Sorry, but that argument just doesn't fly with me.  If Kevin is marking his
stuff appropriately and using his own artistic license on the mold, then NO
collector could ever be confused, unless of course they are just so
disinterested in their collection that they don't take the time to educate
themselves.
Just because you are financially able and willing to spend several hundred
dollars on a jar, does it mean that it can't be reproduced inexpensively for
those who can't afford it?
After all, it really should be a compliment to the pottery factories that
their molds are so desirable after all these years that someone is
reproducing them.
Again, not marked correctly, not attributed correctly...fake and wrong.  New
and marked appropriately, reproduction and in my book totally acceptable and
even possibly bringing new collectors into the field to collect the "real"
thing.
Okay... I won't go on...:P)
Friends?