[Mccoypottery-talk] the list

Kevin Reffitt kreffitt@pbtcomm.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:59:30 -0500

Hi Chiquita,

>I was waiting to see if anyone expressed the thoughts that I have, Mom
>did....I don't think there should be any reference to McCoy in
>fakes/look-a-likes-new productions, whatever.

If I were marketing a die-cast replica of a 1942 VW Beetle, how would I
title the add?  How about "Die-cast replica of a little 1942 German car
that looks like an insect but I can't use it's name."?

I list over 275 items at this point, but less than 1/3 of them are
reproductions.  How can I sell a reproduction of a McCoy Mammy if I don't
leverage off of the McCoy name?  As long as I clearly state this jar is a
repro, and mark it as such, then there should be no problem with the
descriptor.  I'm giving credit to the design, and selling a Storybook
Ceramics product.

How is what I do any different to Mark Supnick's Commemorative Edition of
the Shawnee Smiley Pig?

>If they're so in  demand, let them stand on
>their own...why not do original work instead of using someone elses ideas and
>work.?

We do original work, and don't use the McCoy, or any other name other than
ours, to identify the jar.  Look at this jar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29459&item=3944814943&tc=photo

This is my very best selling jar, the McCoy Jar doesn't come close to this
jar's movement.  You'll notice I use nobody's name other than our own.  So
you see, I don't need the McCoy name to sell our products, but use the name
only where appropriate and warranted to correctly describe the jar.

>New comers to the collecting world get  really confused by all this
>stuff....

Not with our products they wont.  We are not trying to deceive or trick anyone.

Now, this is perfect.  I was hoping we could have this kind of
debate.  It's good for the collectors, and good for me.  I think we need to
debate the issue of fakes vs. Reproductions, and to discuss how it affects
(or not affect) the collectors.

When this debate is over, I hope to come out of this as a friend to the
collector, as I can be a GREAT resource to you guys.  There are some of you
that have thousands of jars in your collection, but I know/can know how
they were made.

Thanks again,

Kevin