[Mccoypottery-talk] general computer stuff. was: Ebay Spoof

mjtn@charter.net mjtn@charter.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:28:13 -0600

>Solutions:
>
>>1.  Don't click on the link in the message
>>2.  Don't use Outlook
>>3.  Don't use Windows

This is so not about McCoy, but since this topic applies to everyone with
an online computer, I thought I'd share.

I'm a doh-doh when it comes to technical stuff.  I know the basics of my
computer and how to get around the internet, and that's about it.  But I've
had a computer online since 1995, and I've never had problems I couldn't
fix myself --- so far.  When I first got online, I had "Windows for
Workgroups."  What a trip that was, having to learn everything on my
own.  When I got my first computer, I barely knew where the enter key was,
and that's no exaggeration.  At the time, there were no night classes, etc.
where I live.  It took about 3 months to even really get around my own
computer very well, let alone getting around the internet.  Anyway ...

It wasn't long after that when I bought\installed windows 95.  Soon after,
I was in a "newbie" chat room on IRC, and met up with a really nice guy who
saw that I knew nothing, and told me some basics.  I've done what he said
ever since, and I've had very few problems.  He told me to download Eudora
and use that for email along with instructions for how to set everything in
"options."  (I set it not to open html, etc.).  I've downloaded an updated
version only twice, and I'm still using it.  And when I "sign up" for any
kind of email updates, listservs, etc.,  when I'm given the choice, I
choose to get the "text only" version.  As far as I know, I've never
received a virus\worm\etc. through email, even when that was the rage.  I
just don't click on anything I'm not absolutely sure of.  If I did, my
virus-thingie caught it, and I never knew it.  (See how techie I am?)  :)

He also told me to download and use Netscape as opposed to Internet
Explorer.  He told me how to set all the options, and I did that.  So I've
had few problems with viruses that way.  When I do get one, the virus
protection thing gets it.  Like ListMom said, I downloaded (free) AVG
Anti-Virus at lavasoft.com and it's been pretty good.  (There's another
good, free anti-virus thing, but I can't remember what it's called right
now).  I also use AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy.  You can set the
AVG thing to update itself and then run the "check" at a specific time
every day.  Since I'm on a cable connection and I leave my computer on
24/7, I set it to do that at 1am every night so that it doesn't start doing
its thing while I'm in the middle of something.  I used to hear people say
to never leave your connection open all the time like that, but I've never
had any problems.  By the way, I've never used a firewall.  (I think the
reason I don't have problems is because of the other precautions I've taken
explained in the last paragraph).

The Start-Run-msconfig-startup thing to check on what's running is one good
way to check something out if you already have a problem.  But like ListMom
said, you need to know what should actually be running and what shouldn't
before you start "un-checking" things.  If you un-check the wrong thing,
your computer wont run correctly.  But there's one thing that even
un-techie people like me can do in there.  You can easily make your
computer boot faster if you have programs that open every time you start
your computer, but you'd rather they didn't open until you want to use
them.  Lots of the things many of us install, like chat programs (msn
messenger, yahoo messenger, etc.) ...  and lots of other things, will set
themselves to open every time you start (boot) your computer.  All you have
to do is go into that "startup" thing, and un-check it, and then click
"apply."  (It might ask you to re-start your computer for the new settings
to take affect, but you can wait until later if you want).  I'd advise
leaving your virus checker alone in "start-up" to just let it boot every
time the computer starts.

I did get one kind of virus or worm or something one time that AVG said it
didn't know what to do about.  So I did as ListMom said --- google'd the
name of the virus which pointed me to a webpage explaining exactly what to
do about it. I did it, and it worked.

The point is, even we who aren't very techie can still figure things out by
just relaxing, not getting uptight, and taking the time to read about
it.  In the 10 years of having 4 different computers online along with the
occasional typical problems, I've never had to use the local high school
computer nerds to come over and fix something.  So far, I've always figured
it out by using online searches or going to chat rooms where they discuss
stuff like this, and asking questions.

By the way, I've also downloaded cool stuff at a really good website for
things like this.  It's called Gibson Research
at  http://grc.com/default.htm  It's a fun and educational place to go
prowling around when you have the time.  They freely share lots of good
info. re: MS "anomalies" (to put it nicely).  They offer lots of free
downloads for whichever "fix\plug\patch\un-plug" etc., etc. that your
particular computer needs, making it much less vulnerable.  He seems to
know all the quirks of each operating system.  He uses only "pure language"
in the programs he writes, leaving out all the "garbage" and making the
file sizes smaller.  Anyway, it's a good site because he makes it as easy
as possible for someone like me to understand.

Mark