[Mccoypottery-talk] Mammy CJ

McCoyPottery.com List Mom listmom@mccoypottery.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:03:57 -0600

On Jan 17, 2005, at 1:52 PM, david mcCoy wrote:

> If his height measurement is on the button, it is real. I have the
> fake and it is 10.5 inches high. The real one should be exactly 11",
> and is listed in my newest book, 2003, at $1320 plus.

Yeah, I am pretty certain it is real at this point.. After looking a
bit more at this seller it is obvious, as some have pointed out, that
they are a bit suspect.  I like the use of "Engrish" in their
description.  They point out a "Davy Crockett" auction (not McCoy,
though you would think it was by the description) that sold for around
$3200, though the bidding history on that auctions looks to indicate
otherwise..

Anway, The value I have seen in the past on the "Mammy with
Cauliflowers" (sometimes called Cauliflower Mammy) is around $1000.00 -
$1200.00 perhaps higher as indicated above... Call it $1000 - $1500
"Collector value".  $3900 starting is a bit out of line.  There are
much rarer pieces.

No, I doubt Sotheby's would sell this for $10k at auction in NYC, as
the seller indicates.   The asking price is extremely steep.  A
starting price of $500 with No Reserve would likely fetch the
$1000-$1500 easily.  That and a little less crap in the description.
The "(LOL)" stuff is a bit redundant and makes the description look
like a 3rd grader wrote it.

In any event, I think it is a the Real McCoy.  I think as someone else
mentioned, this is likely a typical shady seller that finally hit the
jackpot so to speak, and now thinks that they are going to command a
fortune.  Anyway, the bidder is kept private with this seller.. Another
good indication they are not on the up and up.

Regards,
The List Mom
McCoy Pottery Online
www.mccoypottery.com