[Mccoypottery-talk] My first piece of McCoy (Rustic) - is it real or fake?

david mcCoy damitboy@yahoo.com
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:16:46 -0700 (PDT)

Wow! I really am glad to see the list moving again!
  Any chance of pictures on these pieces? That would really help....
  Hi Elizabeth....I sent you guys an email....did you get it?

  Dave

ELIZABETH VAUGHN <revaughn@webtv.net> wrote:
  If you have the vases that are a rather unusual shape, they are not marked. I have one of them. It has a perfectly flat unglazed bottom. They were made later in other colors, and i don't think they were marked either, if I remember correctly.
Elizabeth

-----Original Message-----
From: Collins, Keeley
Sent: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:53:15 -0700
To: mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com
Subject: [Mccoypottery-talk] My first piece of McCoy (Rustic) - is it real or fake?

Hi!
Are "Rustic" line pieces ALWAYS marked McCoy on the bottom? Are
there fakes out there? I couldn't find anything on your site specific to
markings by line (or rustic), or in my book....

I am a new buyer, and finally took the plunge to buy 3 pieces of
McCoy yesterday from a little old lady in a small town in NC.
She had these pieces, 2 pink wall pockets that were girl-in-a-bonnet,
and a yellow vase with birds on it.

I am wondering if the pieces I bought are real or fakes now. I have
one Shiffer Collector book, but it doesn't really give too much detail
on repros.
Not too long ago, I bought a "roseville" wall pocket at an auction,
listed
it on ebay and discovered to my chagrin it was a fake - that line only
had
a paper label. I will never touch Roseville or RS Prussia again as a
result
of my bad experiences.

But it was a sweet little old lady... So - I am optimisitically
cautious.

They are 2 Vases in the Rustic Line. They look EXACTLY like the
picture in my book, but they have NO McCoy mark on the bottom.
They came with a small square "candy" bowl, that IS marked. The glazes
match perfectly. The candy bowl is chipped under the lip. The sizes
measure up to the book reference.

What do you experts think, and where should I look for one or two
manageable reference sites to study?

Thanks!