[Mccoypottery-talk] Roseville

McQuita@aol.com McQuita@aol.com
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 19:56:00 EDT

Hi Marie, I'll answer this by way of the chat--since it might help others as
well.  If you can, refer to a specific item about being unmarked and the book
saying marked and I'll see if I can answer.
Occasionally more than one company might have used the same mold and one co.
could have marked and the other not.  There are a couple of items that I
think Shawnee and McCoy both made, One being the tulip vase. This is a vase
with a tulip in the design on both sides of the vase.  It can be found marked
McCoy so that one obviously is McCoy. However, the same style vase can be
found in an OLD Shawnee book that I have ( I don't have the newer books on
shawnee). I've seen this vase marked USA and I'm thinking the Shawnee one is
the USA one.  This could be just one example of  what you're asking.  In
addition to situations like this, sometimes the same item might be both
unmarked and marked.  I don't think there is an exact correct answer for this
question.  Anytime you want to e-mail me about a specific piece I'll try to
help.
I think you've done well to have the Hanson/Nissen books. A third one will be
out in the future, not soon though.  spring of 2000 was the original estimate.
Rrpco is Robinson Ransbottom Pottery C ompany....also of Roseville Ohio.
sometimes it is confused by some with Roseville simply because it has
Roseville on the bottom of some items.  This is an old company that is also
still in operation in Roseville.  A book on their wares should be out by this
fall and I think will help the collectibility of RRPco. I like some of their
older vases quite well.  On the owl wall pocket, I'm not sure without a
photo.  Brush Pottery made an owl wall pocket and it could have come in a
majolica finish as well as a matte finish.  Hope this helps. Chiquita