accumulated pottery

m. jean stockton jean.stockton@wcom.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 16:34:11 -0400

In the past, I made several pottery purchases thru ebay.  The bidding and
purchasing experience was really great.  However, when some pottery arrived
at the house in shambles and a couple of pieces were unmarked even though
the seller said that they were, I began to find alternate ways of purchasing
pottery.  Additionally, after purchasing so many of the McCoy planters with
the plates attached, e.g. the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=342598603,

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=343456523 and others.

locally so cheap, i.e. $1-$2.50, I realized that bidding on ebay and paying
s&h was way out of my price range - I would much rather use the extra money
for an investment.  It is amazing how much signed pottery I have found
locally in thrift shops - especially around the xmas/new year holiday
period.  Sometimes, I just walk in a thrift shop and there the pottery sits
to be purchased.  I find a lot of Hull, McCoy and Calif (the cheapest) and
sometimes some nice Franciscan and it is cheap.  Furthermore, I have an
opportunity to really look it over and check for cracks and chips.

This is all to say that local market availability, in my case, is the main
reason I do not shop on ebay or any of the other auction sites for pottery.
Flora line is quite abundant and cheap locally as well.  I purchased a
beautiful multi colored Hull planter in mint condition for a total of $2.86
yesterday.  If a see a rare piece on ebay, I might consider bidding for it.
I have not purchased anything for over a year and a half.

In addition to posting to this list, it might be a good idea to give some of
the pieces away as gifts.

Makeeda