[Mccoypottery-talk] glaze scuff on vase?

jane_blonde@webtv.net jane_blonde@webtv.net
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:23:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!
I was wondering how much a glaze scuff would affect the value of a
piece? I found an "arrowhead" vase in a 2nd hand store......was
surprised to find it, and asked about it. The woman said they had
thought it was in very good condition until she washed it w/
simple-green and some paint washed off, revealing a 1/2" x 1/4" glaze
scuff. It's right on the front, on the edge of one of the leaves. It's
noticeable when you look at the vase up close, but since the clay and
the glase are both white, i doesn't stand out too much.......but still,
it's there. Originally the price was $49, but now because of the damage
she found, she's selling it for $25 (which she says is $5 less than they
paid for it a few years ago.) Do small amounts of damage always alter
the value? I've been looking for an arrowhead vase, this one still looks
good sitting on a shelf, no other damage, and $25 is with-in my budget,
but i'm hesitant to buy it because of the missing glaze
spot.......Thanks for any info/opinions/advice!