[Mccoypottery-talk] Repros... (NOT CJ'S!)

BarbCrews barbc@thecookiejar.net
Mon, 04 Jun 2001 23:01:32 -0500

At 10:32 PM 6/4/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Now that we are on the subject of McCoy reproductions, I wanted to share
>something with everyone.  Maybe others know, but I certainly didn't... I
>thought only the CJs were being reproduced.
>
>About a month ago I met with Red Huston, a dealer in our area
>(Arkansas/Missouri) who said he has been dealing in cookie jars for 35
>years.  He has hundreds in his shop and it was quite a sight to see!  He
>deals at the Annual National Cookie Jar Show

Interesting your mentioning Red.. I was just talking to him a few days ago
at the cookie jar show. He is extremely knowledgeable and always ready to
share information ........
They are both a great couple (he and his wife Mary Ann)
bc

>  and knows just about everyone involved with McCoys.  Anyway, he told me
> to be on the lookout for repros in other pieces besides cookie jars.  I
> have only seen one basket piece redone (which I bought cheaply because I
> wasn't sure).  He then showed me a reproduction of the smaller hand tray
> shown on page 112 of Sanford's.  I couldn't believe it - it looked
> exactly the same and in the beautiful aqua glaze.  I have this piece in
> yellow and could compare:  His repro was slightly smaller, definitely
> lighter, WAS MARKED NM as the original, but the interior of the underside
> was not glazed and just solid bisque (the interior of mine is entirely
> glazed).  Had I not been told and ran into this piece somewhere else, I
> would have assumed it wa!
>s the real McCoy - a VERY good copy.
>
>Has anyone else ran into repros on planters, vases, etc., other than
>cookie jars?  I'm sure we could all benefit from hearing about
>them!  Incidently, if anyone would like to name a date/time for us to
>start meeting in the McCoy chat room, I would love to join in!!!
>
>Thanks - Kelly

Barbara Crews
A Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World!
Collectibles Guide on About