[Mccoypottery-talk] Re: replies

M. Caudill mcaudill@kih.net
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:00:04 -0400

Rosemary - Actually, I've been collecting less than a year.  My
father-in-law died last April and left five heirs and two McCoy Springwood
vases, so I started hunting for three more so everyone could have a
remembrance.  Most of what I now know, I learned by listening to the other
members of this list, and reading my reference books.  My wife now has the
complete Springwood line in all three colors. (One of the things that I
learned on my own is that if you want something TOO much, and don't take
time to do your research, you'll spend too much.  My first large vase cost
me $80.  I bought the fifth one for less than $20.)  My daughter graduated
from MSU last year, and my youngest son just rented an apartment there so he
can finish his degree.  Another son works at Jo-Beth in Lexington.

Mark - The Saxon sounds older, by virtue of the additional crazing.  The
hairline crack would be a problem for a serious collector, but not for a
family member.  My wife would rather have her dad's chipped and pit-marked
Springwood vase than one I bought in mint condition, just because of the
connection.  My mother won't let my dad refinish their coffee table because
the teethmarks on the corner are from one of my kids' teething periods (and
my youngest is 24).