[Mccoypottery-talk] Fakes

Nancy&Ron ronnancy@pa.net
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:56:32 -0400

Hi Everyone!   Yesterday we visited a Huge Weekly Flea Market in Thomasvill=
e, PA.  One vendor had a huge selection of "McCoy", including Wall Pockets,=
 Cookie Jars, Vases, Etc.  I asked him about being Fake.  His answer was,  =
" These will be just as Collectible, one day as the real ones are today"   =
He wanted to know how we knew they were fake.  The weight is a dead giveawa=
y, Let alone the chances of finding a huge selection of McCoy at a Flea Mar=
ket, all at the same booth!    They are noticeably lightweight.  He also ha=
d Shawnee Cookie Jars for $40.00 each.  The Pig Shawnee makes most likely w=
as more than $40.00 when new!    He said he sells on OnLine Auctions, and d=
oesn't describe them as new or old, or put the name in the description; he =
only puts the item on a scanner and the Picture does the talking.  Someone =
mentioned earlier about fake Hull Pieces.  I'd say you have to watch every =
piece of Pottery, as ripoffs are not stopping at McCoy.    I think you need=
 to stick to a reputable dealer, or luck out at a Yard Sale, when the owner=
 doesn't know what they have.                                              =
                                            Change of subject here.  I did =
post on the Bulletin Board that I have a McCoy  Bicentennial or Liberty Bel=
l Cookie Jar.     If  anyone is in need of this one.  I came across that on=
e several years ago, at an Auction.  It is real, I guarantee it.  If intere=
sted, email me your offer.   Thanks.        Ron & Nancy