[Mccoypottery-talk] Fakes

Caren Gretzler rettastreasures@yahoo.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:40:11 -0700 (PDT)

Am interested in the Bicentennail or Liberty Bell cookie jar you wrote in about. Anyway possible to have a pic forwarded so I may look at it?? Thanks,

Nancy&Ron <ronnancy@pa.net> wrote:Hi Everyone!   Yesterday we visited a Huge Weekly Flea Market in Thomasville, PA.  One vendor had a huge selection of "McCoy", including Wall Pockets, Cookie Jars, Vases, Etc.  I asked him about being Fake.  His answer was,  " These will be just as Collectible, one day as the real ones are today"   He wanted to know how we knew they were fake.  The weight is a dead giveaway, Let alone the chances of finding a huge selection of McCoy at a Flea Market, all at the same booth!    They are noticeably lightweight.  He also had Shawnee Cookie Jars for $40.00 each.  The Pig Shawnee makes most likely was more than $40.00 when new!    He said he sells on OnLine Auctions, and doesn't describe them as new or old, or put the name in the description; he only puts the item on a scanner and the Picture does the talking.  Someone mentioned earlier about fake Hull Pieces.  I'd say you have to watch every piece of Pottery, as ripoffs are not stopping at McCoy.    I think you need to stick to a reputable dealer, or luck out at a Yard Sale, when the owner doesn't know what they have.                                                                                         Change of subject here.  I did post on the Bulletin Board that I have a McCoy  Bicentennial or Liberty Bell Cookie Jar.     If  anyone is in need of this one.  I came across that one several years ago, at an Auction.  It is real, I guarantee it.  If interested, email me your offer.   Thanks.        Ron & Nancy

Retta's Treasures