[Mccoypottery-talk] shipping charges story

BarbCrews barbc@thecookiejar.net
Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:52:54 -0500

Just a note about the high cost of shipping charges.

In May I bought a cookie jar (of course) from a live auction on eBay.
The firm that was doing the auction had hundreds of items, and no, the
shipping charges were not mentioned ahead of time.

I won the jar and the shipping charges were $25. I was pretty darn, well
let's say -- annoyed. Of course there was a buyers fee so, it was a total
of $40. was added to the cost of the jar!!  I didn't complain. I knew about
the buyers fee upfront and if I was dumb enough not to find out about
shipping charges -- it was my fault.

Well, the jar came and they even sent the wrong  one. Now, talk about being
annoyed...  I immediately called them and they did apologize profusely,
asked me to send the jar back and meantime they were sending the correct
jar. They also told me to let them know return costs and they would
reimburse me.  Hah... I figured I would just send them a bill for $25. I
packed the jar up in the same box, called UPS. and the shipping charge for
a "regular" size jar, not a huge box was $22.  I was shocked -- they really
didn't overcharge me as much as I thought they did.

Since UPS rates have changed I've noticed that the more outlying areas,
which were always high, have gotten much higher.
I do send UPS a lot for larger items, I got an account where they come to
the house to pick up -- it's slightly higher than taking it to the store,
but since I usually deal with large boxes and have a small car, it's really
worth it to me.

bc