[Mccoypottery-talk] Is this CJ really a McCoy?

M. Caudill mcaudill@kih.net
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:35:44 -0400

Sure.  Why not. It depends on how strong your friendship is and how well you
know the person.  Whenever I get a piece of McCoy with a chip in it, I ask
my wife if she wants it for use as a planter or display piece (to keep paper
clips, rubber bands, candy, etc. in).  If she says no, then it goes to one
of her sisters who collect McCoy also.  If the recipient collects things for
potential future resale, then don't give them a broken piece.  But one of my
sister-in-laws has 7-yr-old twin boys and a 5-yr-old girl, so if it's not
broken or chipped now, it probably will be soon.  If she had a perfect piece
and it got broken, she'd be really upset.  If it was already flawed, it's
"Oh well, no real big deal."  The two pieces of pottery that will never be
given away are two Springwood vases that my father-in-law left my wife when
he died. They have chips and flaws and are filled with old fishing lures and
shopping lists and memories.

I realize that some folks may disagree with me, but you need to know what
kind of family I have.  I got my wife a new chain saw blade for her birthday
one year, so I could trim up a woodlot she wanted cleared.  This year she
got me a big painting she loved.  When my brother was 12, he got our mom a
new first-baseman's mitt.  (Now he's a psychiatrist.)
Go for it!
Mike in KY