[Mccoypottery-talk] OT - WARNING! re: kids (was: OUR LIST)

Mark Jennings mjtn@bellsouth.net
Sat, 07 Jun 2003 00:05:29 -0500

(This is off topic and long, but since it was brought up on the list, I've
taken the time to write this for everyone with children, grandchildren, or
even if you know anybody with children. Please read. It could literally
save their lives if you don't already know about this scheme).

Betty in IA wrote:
" ... Mapquest will give you a map of the best route to your home. For all
the parents that put the phone number of their kids in the back of jackets
and back packs it is spooky."

That's exactly right. The names of younger kids should *NEVER* be written
on any of their belongings that they wear or carry, including back-packs,
coats, jackets, big "book-binders," etc., etc., etc.

And here's another great/terrible way that kids can be nabbed that I
learned when my kids were small .....

..... I took them to a nearby larger town for their first piano recital. (I
had already been divorced since they were ages 1 & 2, and I've had them
half the time ever since). We were so excited! I played a duet with each of
them, including my then 5 year old son. He actually did a great job.
(taught him since he was 4 - continues to play now - daughter did a good
job that day, too. She was 6). It was "cute" to watch a small boy play the
piano and have it sound really decent, if I do say so myself.

Immediately after the recital was over and the people starting milling
around, a man in a suit hurried to the stage with what appeared to be a
professional 35mm camera. He said he was a photographer for the local
newspaper. He was "laying it on as thick as molasses," asking how a dad
manages to do such a good job teaching his own children, telling me how
they were such fantastic musicians already, especially Wesley - my
"dark-eyed, dark-haired, dimpled" son - because he was so small. He asked
if I had my "talented children" in a special private school, or "just in
public school." I told him they attended public school.

He said that he wanted some pictures of Wesley at the piano, some standing
by it, some while seated on the bench, etc., and one would be chosen for
their newspaper. I was flattered! Wesley was actually real cute at that
age. He was small and hadn't started "changing teeth" yet. He was
especially cute that day in the green short pants, the knee socks, the
dress shoes, and the white shirt with the green bow-tie. Mallory was like a
living doll in her frilly pink dress and big brown eyes. The guy said he
wanted everyone to see and read about how "such a cute little 5 year old
boy can play already," yada-yada-yada. I told him, "Sure! Go right ahead!"
:-))  My grandmother was the only other family member that went that day.
She would tell you that "my head wouldn't have fit into a foot tub."

That night on the phone, I told the story of the photographer to a friend
of mine, a piano professor at that town's only university, and one of the
older members of the piano teacher's forum that I'm involved with. She also
had students who performed that day. She has lived there for many years and
knows everybody in town, so to speak. At this point, she was very concerned
that we had had a predator attend our recital (and took steps to try to let
everyone else involved with the recital know about this, and to find out
who he was, which didn't happen). She hesitantly said, "Mark ... I saw the
man you're talking about. I've never seen him before. I'm acquainted with
the staff of the local newspaper, and I know for a fact that he does *not*
work with them."

My heart leapt to my throat. I had many different powerful emotions, one
right after the other. She and I talked about this for a while, and she
helped me to calm down - to a degree - by making sensible suggestions. But
I felt like a fool for not having thought for one millisecond of the
possibility that he was anything but sincere. I was stunned, petrified ...
and **enraged.** At the time, I would have given anything to have found him
to ask him what he was up to - AFTER I bashed his teeth in with a baseball
bat. (I'm *not* kidding).

Many things in my imagination consumed me. I didn't sleep well at all that
night. I began the very next day telling everyone we know about this. On
the next school day, I left early with the kids, parked the car, walked
them to their classrooms and told each of their teachers, the other
kindergarten and first grade teachers, a 2nd grade teacher that I happened
to know personally, and the principal. I told each of them the whole story.
They seemed extremely concerned, thanked me for telling them, and said that
they took this sort of thing very seriously. They told me that since he
took photos of Wesley, it was entirely possible that MALLORY was his
target. They said that he could have kidnapped her, and if she resisted
whatever his "lure" was, he could have said something to the effect of,
"Wesley's with me. Look! I have his picture! If you'll come with me, I
won't hurt him."

We had already talked to the kids more than once about "strangers," etc.,
but it was a balancing act trying to warn them of the potential danger with
what had happened without scaring them, and without causing them to be
afraid of every "nice" adult they saw.

The principal said that we'd better be sure and not let either of them out
of our sight - outside at home, or anywhere else. They kept an extra
special eye out on them at school that year. They watched them closely at
lunch time, *LIKE A HAWK* at recess, and until they were inside the car
when we picked them up. I would've gone to the police if I could have
remembered more than, "a 'larger' 50-ish man in a suit with a camera."

This happened 10 years ago. Mallory is 16 now (driving - OMG!) and Wesley
is 15. I never heard anything else from/about whoever that was.

mj