[Mccoypottery-talk] Pillsbury Dough Boy?

Betty Nelson bettyfnelson@mchsi.com
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:44:09 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "BarbCrews" <barbc@thecookiejar.net>
To: <mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 8:17 AM
Subject: RE: [Mccoypottery-talk] Pillsbury Dough Boy?

> There was a Pillsbury Doughboy made in the 1970's that was made by McCoy
> and licensed for a private label according to the Nichols Book. I
> I believe the same jar might also have been made by another company. This
> doughboy is skinny and not very animated looking compared to the multitude
> of later Doughboys.
> If there is any further knowledge about this doughboy -- I would love to
> know, I also have seen it made by California Originals ?? and Holiday
> Designs -- is that perhaps the company McCoy made it for?
>

> bc
In the "Complete Cookie Jar Book" by Mike Schneider, 3rd edition 2001, page
247, there are 2 P.Doughboy jars.  One looks more like the PB Doughboy we
think of today. Band on the hat with round medallian with *Pillsbury* on it.
It is 11 3/4" with a "Made in Taiwan" paper label. It is also marked c 1988
The Pillsbur Company" value $25. There is also an earlier jar 10-1/2" with
solid blue medallion on front of cap. Eyes, word Cookies and bandana all in
blue. The mark is c The Pillsbury Co. 1973  price$50.

In Ermagene Westfall's Coookie Jars book 2, on page77 there is more about
the 1973 Pillsbury jar.  She has it listed under the "Holiday Designs, Inc."
that began in 1964. it says that the bottom of the 'Holiday Design' (now
part of Designers Accents) is unglazed.  There were other companies that
used the same mold and did glaze the bottom.  They give the value at $78-82.
Betty the Okie