[Mccoypottery-talk] OT: look out for this

acp acpearce@io.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:27:23 -0700

I received this note (bottom of the page) a couple of days ago.
I couldn't figure out how he knew I might collect pottery/glassware,
but for some strange reason, I responded to him, saying I did
collect some McCoy and some art pottery, but mainly glassware.
I also said I was trying to sell some of the glassware/pottery
my Mother has collected these past 80 years.

I'm usually VERY careful, but I just fell for this one.

So, about 24 hours after I answered, he sent me more email, telling me
about something called an "Insider's List" (supposed to be about things
people have for sale, etc.).   I thought that message was strange and it
dawned on me I'm been conned.  ;-)

Almost immediately, I received a message from this Insider's List, telling
me how I could advertise for free, and so on and so on.    Then, almost
immediately, I was receiving spam from everyone on the planet.
Foreclosure info, porn offers, singles ads, mortgage rate info, about a
zillion "make money fast with your computer" ads and the list went on.  :-(

So, somewhere out there, is a spammer who has found at least one of
us pottery people.   I'm sure he's looking for more and it's likely that
where ever he learned about my collecting, he may also learn about yours.
I do not belong to any other antique/collectable mailing lists and it's
been
probably 8 months since I posted anything to any antique/collecting
newsgroups.    I've not sold anything on ebay or any other auction site.
I've only sold videos via amazon.com.

Is it possible someone joined this list, gathered email addresses and left
and is now using those addresses??
Has anyone else seen spam like this??  If not please be careful.

acp
*  A. Collene Pearce  *  acpearce@io.com  *  www.jump.net/~collene *