[Mccoypottery-talk] unidentified pieces

Patti jplev1@comcast.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:49:06 -0200

Newer Brush is Marked Brush many of the planters  you find today are
just brush made  in the 1860 and up. Older ones  may not have been mark
or marked USA or  numbered you can tell a much older piece by Brush pre
McCoy buy the style there was  A lot of  utilitarian stuff like planters
for florists . Many Companies also made  bank for other companies to
decorate  for commercial wares. If you get  A Brush McCoy   book either
look  for it in a Library or buy used  you can find  online too  you
will see  some of the distinct  differences some of the   brush stuff
when  it was  joined with JWMcC was never reproduced  by  the  next
McCoy  company. YOu would be surprised to  find out how much older
Brush is  being sold as Unknown.  I.e. I was in a  thrift shop saw this
neat looking  Jardinier/vase  inside it had another  planter stuck  they
were going to throw it away!! well  I said I would by it and  try to get
them apart . I sacrificed the  planter inside  for the  larger pretty
vase  by slowly And carefully breaking  it  because it was  stuck tight
how it got that way was   strange to me as it was  too big to  fit in
the  vase  . ( I only made on small  tiny chip   getting it out on the
better item )   couldn't pinpoint the maker of this  nice vase. I looked
in al my books  except  my B-McC that one i glance I asked  other
pottery  people nobody had a clue  I did find it one day In the B_McC
book by accident it was an older  item  no mark  !! So I have  A great
vase /Jard.  that I  paid  peanuts   because   someone else  though   it
was  useless . Oh an don some old brush Planter  they have  small leg
wide and flat liek panels On the bottoms some are  triangular  , gs or
higher  places on the bottom  and  are unmarked Not quite pedestals  but
lower  where the middle is only raised a tiny bit. A collectors best
friend is reference books  not  relying on  what  some others may  tell
you  many sellers don't  know a thing about what they sell  they also
take prices from  a  book which is wrong  books a guides they  are not a
good way to set prices  it  inflates  the market  value is what a
collector is willing to pay. Id is   best from books not  values.  the
pottery market is supposed to be  low  right now but  it isn't  because
sellers are using books to  price . Patti

--
Items I have listed  On iOffer it's  not an auction its better!!
http://www.ioffer.com/viewProfile.do?userID=jplev1&tab=SELLING