[Mccoypottery-talk] Check out eBay item 2621143635 (Ends Mar-19-0318:45:4...

VSMITHW@aol.com VSMITHW@aol.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:47:12 EST

Last fall, I was the high bidder on a McCoy fish planter.  I bid
$195.50...paid $204.50 with shipping (to Minnesota from Findley, Ohio) and
when the fish arrived, I knew it was a fake.  (I sent a brief message to this
board about it.)  I already own four "real" McCoy fish planters...the one
that I'd purchased was significantly smaller and in a color that looked
nothing like the picture...a color that McCoy has never used.  (I think it
was an attempt to make it appear to be "periwinkle".)

I tried everything I could to address the issue with the seller...he simply
ignored every message.  I then followed instructions to get my claim paid by
eBay...followed all of the notice requirements, even as I attempted to
resolve the issue with the seller.  I did not post negative feedback for the
seller during this time (and actually ended up losing the opportunity to do
so, figuring that getting my money back was more important.)

As eBay was following up on the issue (mediation didn't work, seller wouldn't
respond to anyone) on the last day, the seller contacted me and offered to
refund my money.  eBay backed off and I dealt, once again, with the seller.
He insisted that I return the fish before he would send refund...so I did.
It was worth nothing to me and seemed to be "cojones" to him.  I sent the
package with a return receipt...then wrote to "remind" him that I expected
payment immediately.  After spending more than $30 in shipping charges and
countless hours online, I did receive a money order for $195.50 to cover my
original bid.

It was an obnoxious and very lengthy process...took almost 5 months.  But -
it was worth it to get my original bid back  And, after purchasing almost 150
items on eBay, I'm happy to say it was my first bad experience.  The end
result, though, is that I'm unlikely to purchase any more McCoy pottery on
eBay again, given all the reproductions and fakes that are out there.  I'd
certainly buy from someone I've bought from previously or someone I know from
this board...otherwise, I'm skeptical.

Vicki