[Mccoypottery-talk] New member with some questions...

Olivia Sundby horseluvnhonee@yahoo.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:56:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,
I was sooo excited to find this site.  My husband and I are avid "Arts and Crafts" era collectors...and have recently tried to narrow in on one pottery company. We have both fallen in love with McCoy and for the most part have found that McCoy is a little more affordable then some of the others of the era..i.e Roseville, etc. We aren't looking to find really unusual pieces or anything....just "real" items with the Craftsmen look to them...(and from the era..we don't want anything newer than the early 30's) We did go antique shopping this last weekend and found a mission smoking stand....sitting in the stand was a cute little piece that we ultimately ended up getting virtually free as the dealer lowered the price on the stand and threw in the bowl. The bowl is a green onyx low bowl with  01 5 Made in the USA..on the back. The dealer said it was probably McCoy. I'm sure it's not worth a whole lot if he threw it in for free?? Can anyone here confirm that it is McCoy?  What is the
 approx. age of this bowl? I know we need to get a book to get started, and will do that soon...but.... I'm kind of a skeptic....how can we get quality pieces that aren't "fakes". What are some common characteristics of a fake or a newer piece?  Obviously , we are very new at this...so any help, links, etc....would be much appreciated. Thanks again...for letting me join this wonderful, elite , group. I hope that you don't get too sick of all my "newbie" questions.
Hugs,
Olivia in WI