[Mccoypottery-talk] info on fakes

elizabeth custer shortcake7502@yahoo.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:40:42 -0800 (PST)

thanks so much for the wonderful info.  that is super good to know..

BigBVideo@aol.com wrote:For some of the newer members to the list, one good source for checking out
some of the fakes being sold as McCoys is the Rosso Wholesale Glass company's
website. whiterabbitonmain apparently buys so many "collecitble" scotty dog
planters and colorful Mammy cookie jars from Ross that they have to ship from
THREE different locations! rock_of_memories is apparently a good customer
also, selecting vintage McCoy and Fenton pieces, though they make no claim to
their age. glassoffaith must be getting daily deliveries from Rosso with all
those listings for wall pockets and frogs. And of course, we all know that
fayes_southern_memories is failing her, and she can't remember if Little Red
Riding Hood was a McCoy or Hull cookie jar, so she orders BOTH! What luck for her
that Rosso's has them! You can check out their website at
http://www.wholesale-glass-dealer.com to keep an eye on their latest offerings.

A fellow collector... though of Hull Pottery... has a webpage that has a
large section on fakes. Her "confusing facts" and "reproductions" pages have
information that is not only good reference for Hull... but McCoy as well. She
also bravely publishes her List of Shame where she names names. She has links to
Castle Antiques and A.A. Importing, though you need to be registered to see
Castle's offerings. She also lists the seller ID's of those she knows of from
eBay. You can check out her page at
http://www.geocities.com/potterynut.geo/index.html

And finally, http://ohiopottery.com/mccoy/reproduction/index.htm has a very
informative discussion of fakes and repros and what to look for, as well as a
listing of many of the fakes floating around out there. There are also links to
other sites with information about fakes.

My apologies to the veterans on the list who already know about this stuff.
Just thought I'd pass along some of what I've learned to the newer members.
Hope it helps.

Walter