[Mccoypottery-talk] info on fakes

Betty Nelson bettyfnelson@mchsi.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:05:47 -0600

Yes, I had so much to do and just stopped to check email and I ended up rea=
ding and learning for an hour.  I have been here for years and own many McC=
oy and CJ books.  I know so little about Hull and I am so glad for their li=
nks.  Thank you so much. Does anyone have good links like that for Hall or =
RedWing?  Thank you so much.  Betty=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: elizabeth custer=20
  To: mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com=20
  Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 1:40 PM
  Subject: Re: [Mccoypottery-talk] info on fakes

  thanks so much for the wonderful info.  that is super good to know..

  BigBVideo@aol.com wrote:=20
    For some of the newer members to the list, one good source for checking=
 out=20
    some of the fakes being sold as McCoys is the Rosso Wholesale Glass com=
pany's=20
    website. whiterabbitonmain apparently buys so many "collecitble" scotty=
 dog=20
    planters and colorful Mammy cookie jars from Ross that they have to shi=
p from=20
    THREE different locations! rock_of_memories is apparently a good custom=
er=20
    also, selecting vintage McCoy and Fenton pieces, though they make no cl=
aim to=20
    their age. glassoffaith must be getting daily deliveries from Rosso wit=
h all=20
    those listings for wall pockets and frogs. And of course, we all know t=
hat=20
    fayes_southern_memories is failing her, and she can't remember if Littl=
e Red=20
    Riding Hood was a McCoy or Hull cookie jar, so she orders BOTH! What lu=
ck for her=20
    that Rosso's has them! You can check out their website at=20
    http://www.wholesale-glass-dealer.com to keep an eye on their latest of=
ferings.

    A fellow collector... though of Hull Pottery... has a webpage that has =
a=20
    large section on fakes. Her "confusing facts" and "reproductions" pages=
 have=20
    information that is not only good reference for Hull... but McCoy as we=
ll. She=20
    also bravely publishes her List of Shame where she names names. She has=
 links to=20
    Castle Antiques and A.A. Importing, though you need to be registered to=
 see=20
    Castle's offerings. She also lists the seller ID's of those she knows o=
f from=20
    eBay. You can check out her page at=20
    http://www.geocities.com/potterynut.geo/index.html

    And finally, http://ohiopottery.com/mccoy/reproduction/index.htm has a =
very=20
    informative discussion of fakes and repros and what to look for, as wel=
l as a=20
    listing of many of the fakes floating around out there. There are also =
links to=20
    other sites with information about fakes.

    My apologies to ! the veterans on the list who already know about this =
stuff.=20
    Just thought I'd pass along some of what I've learned to the newer memb=
ers.=20
    Hope it helps.

    Walter