[Mccoypottery-talk] RE: Re: info on fakes OT McCoy

Ohio Pottery & Glassware capriherb@earthlink.net
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 03:20:33 -0500

This came from the Fenton list.
Anyone like to comment?  I'm not going to get into a battle with this man as
he is good friends with the moderator of the group but I'll be more than
happy to forward any information that is correct.
Even better.... Kevin if you are out there, you might want to join the list
and refute this man!
Jennifer
Jennifer  & Rodney Smith
Baltimore, Ohio
<http://www.OhioPotteryandGlassware.com>
<http://stores.ebay.com/id=1857615&ssPageName=L2>

When Mount Clemens bought McCoy, they changed the logo to include the Mt.
Clemens logo but continued to use the McCoy name.  They owned McCoy Pottery
Company in the same way  VIACOM owns CBS.  Just because Columbia
Broadcasting had a new owner, the name wasn't changed from CBS.  In fact
most of the time when one company buys another, they insist on the rights to
use the company name so they can continue to capitalize on any good will the
company may have built up.

Roger Jensen is another story.  Neither he nor his company had any ties to
original McCoy Potteries (of which there two) .  We are by no means close
but I have known and known of Roger for many, many years.  I knew him when
he had his pottery in Rockwood, TN.  He later moved it up on the mountain
between Dayton and Spring City, TN which is not far from the town in which I
live.  I spoke with Roger on the telephone last month.  I have never known
of him to use the name Roger Jensen McCoy.  What he did do was from a
company called MPI Industries.  McCoy Pottery had never registered the 1940s
mark.   All Roger had to do was use the mark for one year which he did
starting in 1991.  After he used it for one year he was able to fire for a
trademark with the US Government which he did in 1992 and the trademark was
approved in 1993.  There was no need for Roger to use the name McCoy as his
name.  You or I could have done the same thing.  If anyone has a claim, it
would be Roger against the importer's and other producers in the US
(including some of Rogers family members and the infamous Faye) who making
items with the mark.  But, trademark suits can be time consuming and
expensive and I don't think Roger wants to fight that battle.  He has had
other important things that have made to many demands on his time in the
past few years.

The original McCoy family have no rights to the trademark just because their
name is McCoy.  If anyone want to see a copy of the trademark registration,
see page 244 of Roerigs CE of Cookie Jars, Book 2