[Mccoypottery-talk] Hull LRRH CJ

Kevin Reffitt kreffitt@pbtcomm.net
Wed, 12 May 2004 12:37:49 -0400

I have to disagree.

That face is an exceptionally beautiful rendition, and not representative
of the typical LRRH line.  Usually the cheeks are of "high color", to the
point of being harsh, and the lips are not as well done as your
example.  Remember that these jars were mass produced and painted by
different people with different levels of talent.

Go to eBay and look at these two auctions.  These are more the norm for the
LRRH line.
3723062986 & 3722000548

This one here is an example of someone having a bad day at work.
2243514146

This is a beautiful reproduction.  Notice the care taken in the face painting!
http://pages.tias.com/10733/PictPage/1922261499.html

As always, reference your books.  Ask questions.  Understand the techniques
used by the manufacturer, and avoid variations and departures from those
techniques unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure of the origin.

I have yet to see a good forgery on eBay, just a bunch of bad fakes.  Thing
is, it's SO easy to tell the difference.  I'm at the point where I think I
need to give a series of classes here on this forum on how to research,
techniques uses by different manufactures, and tell tale signs of real
verses fake.

Nobody should EVER be fooled.  If you are, then you weren't paying
attention.  This excluded the new collector, of course, but even they
should NEVER try to start buying vintage without reference material and
support forums such as this at their disposal.  Keep this in mind....you
will NEVER fool a Barbie collector.  Trust me, I'm one.