[Mccoypottery-talk] Hull LRRH CJ

Kevin Reffitt kreffitt@pbtcomm.net
Thu, 13 May 2004 15:56:01 -0400

This is the kind of discussion I love.  We learn from it, and everyone
benefits.

The jar is real.  Aside from the decals, which are perfect, look at the
picture of the side view of the head.  If you look carefully, you can see
the edge of the screening used for the red cape painting process.  Fired
reds today are not sprayed like this, as the edges will "grey out".  Cold
painted hoods are brush painted, and have a sharper edge.

Another tell tale point is the brown translucent paint used on the feet
(which by the way is a cold paint).  Most repros and fakes use either black
(most common), or red.

Jennifer, if you EVER see those decals again, let me know.  I don't believe
what you saw were the real ones; I've been looking for those for over a
year.  I mean, really looking.  I even talked to most of the companies that
do custom and repro decals, and as far as I can tell, they've never been
redone.

Anyways, I'll think on how I wan to present some instructive
information.  I'm thinking I can cover the most pertinent issues under
about four topics.  Then I can offer some good filler info.  If anyone
would like to then compile this stuff and archive it, please feel free.

Quick note.  Just to qualify myself a bit.  For those of you that know,
this will be a reminder.

My name is Kevin Reffitt, and my wife is Michelle.  I worked as Roger
Jensen's "Production Manager" last summer, and Michelle was our Marketing
Director.  I am a mold maker and a ceramicist.  Michelle was previously a
doll artist and sculptor, when she wasn't working as a software
engineer.  Michelle and I started our own shop when we left Roger last
August.  We HATE fakes, and are disgusted by those who peddle them.

I'll try to focus my discussions to McCoy pieces, but if I can show a point
better in another piece, I'll use that one instead.

Thanks!
Kevin