[Mccoypottery-talk] the list

lisa a lisaherewa@hotmail.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:34:24 -0800

I have watched this discussion with great interest. It seems that although
there are many viewpoints about the entire enterprise of non-vintage jar
sales, that barn-burner is off-topic. The relevant conflict within this
thread where we could make progress seems to be semantics.

I do share the objection to the use of the term "reproduction" in regard to
any contemporary jar that uses anything other than the original molds on the
grounds of inaccuracy. If I am selling a new purple cow jar made from the
original mold, I am selling a reproduction. If I am selling a new mammy jar
made from my artistic interpretation or expression or own casting of the
original jar, I am not selling a reproduction. I am selling something that
can be described as "inspired by." This is similar to music CDs that large
media conglomerates release to capitalize on the popularity of one of their
movies. They release a soundtrack (which contains music that was truly in
the motion picture) and a companion item (which contains music in the style
or subject of the motion picture) and label it "music inspired by the motion
picture." It's similar, but it's not authentic.

I think there are a number of opportunities for each of these listings in
this store to disclose, educate, elevate, and assure buyers, sellers, and
vintage-only collectors. Showing the stamp every time is a start and should
be reflexive (every jar should have a picture of the bottom, IMO). Including
a tidbit *within the listing* on how to tell the vintage jar from this jar
and from the true fakes (such as "Brush never labeled jars Brush-McCoy --
it's a dead giveaway the jar is not vintage or Brush") would be helpful.

I would like to add that I was massively ripped off my first week on eBay
and only through a series of skilled questions was I able to leave the fake
peddler no other option than a complete refund, including return shipping. I
also would like to add that I was recently massively ripped off by a vintage
peddler who publicly lied about the condition of the jar, privately berated
me, and then publicly like that I tried to back out of the sale -- my only
negative feedback on eBay, and it's a lie. So ethically, the fake peddler
actually did right when I reported I was unsatisfied. The obvious
counterargument is that the fake peddler has more to lose by being exposed,
but my badly made point is that the fact that the jar is vintage does not
automatically make the transaction morally superior. Both sellers lied to
the entire eBay community.

As for posting information about identity and labeling sellers as fake
peddlers, please be careful to avoid libel. It is not wise to post e-mail
threads because a privacy violation, though ludicrous, could successfully be
argued. The extent to which one can proceed with minimal worry would be to
list many responses to the listing of the item with the group heading of
in equal numbers.

For instance:
"You have killed our business model and I will hunt you down like the lame
dog that you are!" -- kay's_faulty_memories
"I always wondered how to tell vintage from new. Thanks!" -- ebaynewbie

(Retain the original e-mails in perpetuity.)

###