[Mccoypottery-talk] Please help out the eBay sellers!

McCoyPottery.com List Mom listmom@mccoypottery.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:57:50 -0600

On Feb 16, 2005, at 9:02 AM, Jennifer Smith wrote:

> One other thing we are doing as a protest is on February 18 (Friday)
> we will
> be doing a click campaign against eBay.  This is very simple.  Just go
> http://www.google.com and type in something like McCoy Pottery.  On
> the far
> right column there is a list of "Sponsored links".  One of these will
> be
> eBay.com.  Click on that.  Wasn't that fun? It takes you to eBay's
> pottery
> category!  Click back on your browser and try it again!  I know it
> will be
> so much fun you'll want to spend quite a bit of time exploring eBay
> this
> way!  (Now don't forget to NOT bid!).  Every time you click eBay has
> to pay
> Google for the click.  This will show them civil disobedience in their
> pocket book.  It is your personal decision to tell eBay that you are
> against
> their new increases!

DO NOT (I very rarely yell on the net) DO NOT do this!!!

This is wrong.  Many of us make our living either advertising, or
publishing on the web.  Abusing Google's AdWord's with fraudulent
clicks is a sure fire way to find yourself in a lot of trouble.  Not
only is it unethical, it is illegal, and people have gone to jail for
it.  The McCoy group of sites is supported in part by AdSense ads, and
as such any abuse of that systems could mean an end to AdSense, and
perhaps even and end to this site and the lists.  You are not going to
hurt eBay by clicking on their AdWords links in Google.  You are going
to hurt all the other advertisers and publishers who use that system.

I would really seriously reconsider doing anything like this.  I would
also pass the word onto others that would do this.  It is not a good
idea.  It might be a good idea to retract the above statement publicly
as well given it is pretty good evidence of you encouraging illegal
behavior.

If you do not like eBay's fees or practices, do not use eBay.  There
are literally hundreds if not thousands of other auctions sites out
there.  In any event if you would pay more attention to what is really
going on with eBay's fee structure you would find that they DID already
lower several of their fees based on the outcry from people who are as
upset about this as you.

Thread closed -
Ok, so back to McCoy Pottery...

Regards,