[Mccoypottery-talk] Ebay Spoof

McCoyPottery.com List Mom listmom@mccoypottery.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:33:07 -0600

On Feb 17, 2005, at 1:34 PM, Cunningham, Beth wrote:

> Well, I'm no expert but I can attest that she did not fill out any
> information and Ebay is the one who told her "it is possible" that
> someone can get your user name and password if you click on these
> messages.  Yes, I realize that it seems far fetched, but I will
> certainly not be opening one ever again.  Not worth taking a chance.

Yes, it is certainly a good idea just to never open them or go to the
link shown.  I agree 100%.  This will keep anyone from coming close to
having a problem.

I should also qualify on my last statements. Yes it "is possible", but
not likely.. What would have to happen is:

1.  You would have to be currently logged into your ebay account.
2.  Your session would have be current (active)
3.  You would have to click on the email, open it up, then click on the
link they have provided

What would be "possible" is they could write a script that captures
your cookie.  Though they would have to get that cookie in like say, 5
minutes and then use it to get into your account at which point they
could go mad listing things, or whatever else they do.

Is this likely?  No.  Possible?  Yes.

Hope this clarifies.

Again, it is best like Beth says, just delete them and move on :-)

Frankly it is not even worth notifying eBay or PayPal about these
notices unless you live next to the person doing it and can prove it.
There are literally tens of thousands of these scams running at any
given time.  The abusers use hacked computers, stolen or fraudulent
accounts to collect their phishing data.  Tracking them down is like
trying to win the lottery big.  It's possible but not likely.

Regards,
The List Mom
McCoy Pottery Online
www.mccoypottery.com