[Mccoypottery-talk] Ebay Spoof

McCoyPottery.com List Mom listmom@mccoypottery.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:13:06 -0600

On Feb 17, 2005, at 3:00 PM, lisa a wrote:

> If I send you spam, and you open it, I can get your user ID from the
> eBay member search.

Ah, but you assume everyone is using flawed software.  I am not using
OE or a PC.

> If I write a script to submit data onClose, I can capture the
> information you entered on a Web form even if you don't click the
> SUBMIT button.

Certainly... But then again, no one should be entering this data in in
the first place.  Though people still do. Best not to visit the link at
all.  I do all the time however.  I run an ISP and one of the things I
end up doing is fielding these as they come in.  We do a good job of
blocking a great many of them, but not all.  As an ISP you really  need
to set up a first line of defense so to speak to deal with this type of
spam.  It cuts down on our support calls and saves many users the
aggravation.

> If you are missing key security updates and you open HTML spam and
> then perform seemingly innocent input tasks, such as clicking the
> scroll bar,  I can turn your computer into a porn zombie while I sell
> stolen software under your ID and sell the personally identifiable
> information I gathered to credit card and passport frauds.

True, though most of these "spyware" (as they are commonly called)
programs exist to spam.  There are malicious ones out there, but the
majority are just poorly written smtp bots.  If you must use Windows,
please do turn on your firewall, and make sure you are up to date with
the latest patches and security updates.

> Remove malicious software:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
> Update Windows:
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> Update Office:
> http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/
> Remove spyware (beta):
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Pretty dangerous stuff.  Don't get me wrong, you can very easily secure
a Microsoft Based PC, and they can be quite stable.. The thing is the
average user does not know how to do this, nor would they want to waste
the time trying to do it.

Regards,
The List Mom
McCoy Pottery Online