[Mccoypottery-talk] My first piece of McCoy (Rustic) - is it real or fake?

Collins, Keeley keeley.collins@hp.com
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:53:15 -0400

Hi!
Are "Rustic" line pieces ALWAYS marked McCoy on the bottom? Are
there fakes out there? I couldn't find anything on your site specific to
markings by line (or rustic), or in my book....
=20
I am a new buyer, and finally took the plunge to buy 3 pieces of
McCoy yesterday from a little old lady in a small town in NC.
She had these pieces, 2 pink wall pockets that were girl-in-a-bonnet,
and a yellow vase with birds on it.
=20
I am wondering if the pieces I bought are real or fakes now. I have
one Shiffer Collector book, but it doesn't really give too much detail
on repros.
Not too long ago, I bought a "roseville" wall pocket at an auction,
listed
it on ebay and discovered to my chagrin it was a fake - that line only
had
a paper label. I will never touch Roseville or RS Prussia again as a
result
of my bad experiences.
=20
But it was a sweet little old lady... So - I am optimisitically
cautious.
=20
They are 2 Vases in the Rustic Line. They look EXACTLY like the
picture in my book, but they have NO McCoy mark on the bottom.
They came with a small square "candy" bowl, that IS marked. The glazes
match perfectly. The candy bowl is chipped under the lip. The sizes
measure up to the book reference.
=20
What do you experts think, and where should I look for one or two
manageable reference sites to study?
=20
Thanks!